Saturday, January 15, 2005

Writer's Embellishment to Your Life

Pt. 5

"You know that new novel I'm writing? The one that's causing me so much trouble? I started talking to a counselor. I'm having some strange feelings . The man in the novel is a cop. You remember that, right? Well he starts having an affair. I think I told you about this one, right? Well, I started having this, I don't know, transposed sense that maybe I should have an affair, too. I know that's not right. You know I love you. Don't you? Well, I called a counselor and we've been talking it through. But now the counselor is having feelings for me.

"No, we didn't do anything. But she's very attractive. And I was just about to cave in. But I told her we couldn't see each other any more. That's when you came in. Here's her card. I don't know. I'm so sorry about the whole thing. I...I don't know what to say. I'm sorry."

"Hmmm..." was all that Nancy said as she looked at the card. Was she going to buy it? Had you done the right thing by not quite coming clean? Was there a divorce on the horizon for Dana Bramwell, Colorado writer? You had nothing to lose, but would you lose it all anyway? Would you end up living on a cot where you worked at the SPCA?

"I think I do remember you telling me about a counselor. Was it really necessary to go that far?"

"I don't know. It seemed to help at first, but we started going in the wrong direction. I wanted to explore my feelings, but..."

"Well, it's all over now, I assume."

Next year's New Year's Eve was slightly different. Nancy and you went on a double date to the same old pub. There Betty was standing in the corner looking over a young man's shoulder. She winked a few times too many and you looked her way often, but those afternoons will ever be in your memory of what not to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home